View Single Post
Old 09-17-2020, 08:49 AM   #7
landarts
landarts

Re: 71 K20 Idaho Edition

One of the next items that I wanted to address was the drivers side door. It has a speaker cut out in the lower section of the door panel that I wanted to eliminate. There was some areas on the bottom that also might need a closer look so I decided it would be easiest to remove the door and mount a spare door I have so I could continue to drive the truck while working on it. So the door came off and I set it up on a couple of tall saw horses I had in the garage to work on it.

After getting the door off I grabbed another door I had on the side yard and strapped that on to my engine hoist and finished getting that mounted so the truck stays drivable. Looking over the door once it was off to see if there was any rust repair on bottom went in my favor. All of the rusty looking areas were solid and did not need to be replaced, just treated. I went through those areas with a pretty aggressive knotted wire wheel to knock off any stuff I could. Then treated with Rustoleum spray rust dissolver gel. Cant say enough about how well this stuff works for situations like this.

Next up while the dissolver was working was to make a template for the speaker hole. Grabbed some card stock off of an old box and did a pencil rubbing to get the outer shape correct. Cut out the tracing and glued to some clean sheet metal with spray on gorilla glue. Marked areas on the template for , up, side, and down so it would be lined up the way it was traced. Then I grabbed a new tool I purchased a few months back to cut out the sheet metal. The tool is an attachment that I bought for my Rigid multi-tool that is a metal shear. Oh this tool is so worth it, which was something like $52.00 and change with a lifetime warranty. It cuts the metal so smooth and it free hands really well on tight radius. Another big plus is that there are no sparks and noise to go with the cutting. Got it cut out and mounted with a few magnets. Will post pictures of the tool in the next thread and if you get chance go check it out on YouTube where a few fabrication guys make a good review video of it.
Attached Images

Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer

Last edited by landarts; 02-26-2021 at 10:43 AM.
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote