View Single Post
Old 01-01-2021, 12:49 PM   #27
6DoF

Re: Project: Tow-Rat (Lil' Blue)

been doing a lot of prep work on all kinds of parts from the trans crossmember to the fuel tank mounts. re-designed the mounting of the crossmember though. this new design doesn't require drilling into the frame, will hold weight with no nuts on the bolts still, and can be removed down or back with no binding. no it's not double shear, but the loading doesn't require it at all, and not having to slot the bushings will make everything easier.

i've also been doing a fait bit of welding on the frame, and even got the rear brakes set up. 2008 GMC 3500 rear rotors, standard 14B studs, GM 3/4 ton D52 calipers, and BTF weld on brackets that have been in my shelf for like 10 years. the studs are a tiny bit sloppy to the rotor holes, so i wrapped a little tap on 2 studs to center them before pinning them in place with all 8 studs. nothing should move, Pirate4x4 couldn't even argue it works great, but another one of those "i guess we'll find out". i didn't feel like having custom sleeves machined if i didn't need to. had shims between the rotor and the caliper, more shims caliper to bracket, new pads, then made an adapter to hook the caliper to my air compressor. held everything square n tight while i tacked em in. yes the bleeders will be on the right side when actually installed, and they are installed below the axle to make sure they don't have any chance to hit the frame on articulation. looks weird to me though since i'm normally trying to keep them high from hitting rocks. lots of wheel clearance, so game on.

6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote