View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 12:52 PM   #39
6DoF

Re: Project: Tow-Rat (Lil' Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
looks like the seats were made for the cab.
will you have a park brake? is it a requirement where you live? it would be a shame to build with no park brake and then have to modify to pass an inspection. will the "stop" be enough for the amount of "go" you have in the build?
Im excited about the seat, seams better than expected so far. Should be great on a long trip too.

PA does have inspections, but im pretty sure I'll register antique and be exempt from both safety and emissions inspections. If i do register normal to 'legally' tow, a "parking brake" is required but not an "e-brake". Defined that it must hold the vehicle from rolling down a slope while in Neutral. Nothing about an "emergency" or mechanical back-up brake. For parking i use a Parker ball valve, you push the pedal hard, shut it off, and it holds full PSI on the calipers. Started that in my rock crawler for winching, but they keep full hold for months+. Also no way for a cable or springs to seize/brake. There is a risk someone bumps them off while driving, but not 2 or 3 of them.

The other option however is the cadi d52 caliper that fits these brackets. Recently RuffStuff started making them all new cuz they got too hard to find. Now, they are not exactly the same as the standard gm front caliper though, its a slightly smaller piston. This does however help with brake proportioning.

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com...YaAquIEALw_wcB

Total piston area:
Stock D52 ----- 6.78
Big dual piston d52 wilwood -- 6.28
Small dual piston d52 wilwood -- 2.46
Cadillac ('76 -'78) Eldorado E-brake Calipers -- 4.55
79-85 K20 JB7 front calipers -- 7.82 (metric banjo)
GM 1-ton caliper -- 8.90

So for stopping power. Im running the stock 1-ton front and a stock 3/4 ton front d52 on the rear with hydroboost. Im pretty sure that will be great with only a 30" tire. The 1-ton piston area is very similar to modern factory dual piston on trucks. My only concern right now is that i went hot-rod on a fancy looking wilwood master cyl, but its only a 1.125" bore. This was the max i found in a bling master. These calipers could use a 1.5, or even 1-5/8" bore master. Ill get better PSI from this smaller one, but I'll have a long pedal travel to do it. I have a Jeep running the same set up on 40s, stops great but takes a lot of travel. We'll see, might end up with a large bore stock application master.

Last edited by 6DoF; 01-17-2021 at 01:14 PM.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote