View Single Post
Old 04-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #6
MidLifer

Re: Doner vehicle for LS engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
This is pretty much what I was going to say. Look for a 2001-2006 2500 or 3500. I believe the Van's got the same truck accessory drive and might end up being cheaper. 2500 or 3500 will have the LQ4 6.0 most likely, and will have a 4L80E most likely. Depending on the condition of your donor, you could reuse a few other things off of it (like the radiator, electric fans if it has them, drive by wire pedal and TAC module if you need them, etc.)

Mount locations dont matter too much - you're going to need to buy or make conversion mounts anyway. My 5.3 came out of a 2006 Yukon and my 4L80E out of a 2006 Van (just happened to work out that way.) I used Dirty Dingo sliding mounts and the Dirty Dingo trans crossmember. Only put a few miles on the truck so far, but more than happy with all of it.

Second on the van idea. That's where my engine came from too.

One note - the intake on the van engines has one key difference in that it lacks a vacuum port. This will make it a bit more difficult to connect your brake booster. However, the hydroboost conversion is more than worth the effort in terms of braking improvement, and with the power steering pump on the LS engines you are half way there. Plenty of threads on this board will walk you through the project. And the first time you hit the brake pedal you'll thank yourself!
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote