View Single Post
Old 07-18-2021, 08:38 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Re: Headers with manual clutch linkage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Run 2 1/2" center dump rams horn manifolds , They flow just as good as headers up to 5,000 rpm and don't leak .
SOS. A guy asks about headers and gets manifolds for an answer full of myths and rumors. I've always preferred headers. Back when I first took interest in modified vehicles right up to now people have been running headers on their cool rides, and I am one. They don't hurt performance when used as a part of the overall motor plan. They aren't loud in my cab. I feel the truck run better. I have not had annoying leak issues, and I have had a pair installed on a road trip straight out of the box with craptastic finish and they lasted 15 years without rusting out or burning out. I think I replaced collector gaskets twice. Takes ten minutes, literally. I had to have the headers installed because one of the manifolds blew out the side. I have had other manifold failures I won't go into. Just saying people can run what they want and have their own opinions. But watch basing that on myths and rumors.

I run Headman Torque Steps on my '72 K2500 (installed in '04). Mine's an automatic but it looks like they would clear the clutch linkage. They don't hang below the frame at all. I have run headers on lots of manual trucks in these years and what you need to look for are ones with the back tube running vertical or slightly forward.

I am not certain, but I believe the 2wd headers hang lower than 4wd headers. Seems backwards but I believe that is what I have seen people say here before. You definitely can't run 3/4 length headers because they run a angle straight into the linkage area. Has anyone ever tried running 4wd full length headers on a 2wd? Are there suspension issues? Motor mount? I have a set I will size up on my '67 C1500 project once engine is in place. For that one I already have a take-off set of Sanderson's, made to fit with manual shift. I'm not sure what way I'll go on that one. I'm keeping my options open.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 07-18-2021 at 08:49 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote