View Single Post
Old 07-09-2022, 11:51 AM   #201
omodified

Re: "Midnight Rider" 1970 C10 SWB Fleetside

It took a little elbow grease but the seals are looking brand new. I found that the easiest way to get the stuff off was to just rub it off between my fingers with soapy water. Now I can install them to the frame, which is the hardest part of the whole rebuild.

Every video I watched, guys had different recommendations for this step. Use Windex, use oil, use a screwdriver etc. I'm lucky I found this lubricant from Precision. With just a little extra effort I was able to basically push these seals into the frame by hand. Then I installed the frame onto the division bar. What was difficult here was getting both ends of the vent seal up under the division bar seal. This lubricant really helped with that. I used a plastic window tool to help tuck the hardest parts.

Getting close to the end. The next step is to install the vent window assembly to the frame. First I need to install the vent window handle. I was able to find nice NOS handles and studs. The chrome on both turned out really nice after I hit it with the dremel. The rest of the parts are from a vent window handle rebuild kit I bought from LMC. Once the handle is installed, you are ready to install the window assembly. Slide the window post through the bottom hole in the frame. As you do, make sure you are installing the original washers back in the correct order that you removed them in. I messed this up on my original attempt, but I caught it and fixed it later. Next, install the tension springs and retaining nut and locking washer. I used NOS tension springs that I found on EBAY. The rest of the post hardware is the original stuff I cleaned up and soaked in Evaporust. Don't tightened all the way. Use the handle to lock the window in place. This is your last chance to get the glass depth correct. Check to make sure the window is make a good seal against the division bar seal and that the rivets aren't interfering. Adjust the window in the sash if needed. Install the vent window hinge rivet. You may have to tweak on the vent window frame bit to get everything lined up better. I needed a helper for this last rivet install.

The very last thing to do before I store these away was to install the division bar channel seal. Again, I couldn't find originals so I went with the Precision GRB 1111 60. I applied 3M weatherstrip adhesive to the back of the seals and to the division bar channels. I installed the seals and push them up until they were flush with the top edge of the channel. This will ensure no air will get by and create a whistle.

Well, this little project is finished. What to do next?

Board Member #87725
My build thread... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=813848
omodified is online now   Reply With Quote