View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 10:48 AM   #20
MARKDTN

Re: 1972 307 cam selection... HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
I have always thought the TPI system looked nice and performed well. Don't know what it will do for a 307, but the 350 TPI in a Corvette was a torque monster for sure!

What would that setup require for tank, fuel pump, and return line?
TPI was actually designed for a 305 so it should be great for a 307. Runners are small so they limit flow at higher RPM, but low end is outstanding. Not sure why GM never used it in an "SS350" type truck? Stock cam with good vacuum is ideal for TPI.

I have put TPI on a '72 SWB for a customer ('88 Impala 350 longblock and TH400). Used a '85ish 2.8 TBI S10 Blazer fuel tank and lines but had to cut rails a little right at the end to make it fit and for the filler. Swapped the pump for an '89 IROC pump. Stock tank is probably fine with an inline pump ('88 F150 rail mounted, not in-tank) if you have one with a return line. If not, I believe you can change the sending unit and add a line. Swap all rubber hose for fuel injection hose and fuel injection clamps. Add an O2 sensor to the exhaust pipe, just have a bung welded in (or cut off a spark plug anti-fouler and use that as a bung). OP would need a Corvette or early F-body TPI bottom intake to have the correct angle on the middle intake bolts. Corvette fuel rail is also better for a conversion since they come out on passenger side. F-body works but comes out on drivers side so lines are harder to run. I would put it in as Speed Density ('90 up) and not use a mass-air sensor. Doesn't matter what year TPI unit you get, all can work as Speed Density by adding a MAP sensor. '89 up is preferable to get improved throttle body linkage and self adjusting throttle position sensor, but that is just icing and not required. Throw away the stock injectors-none really do well with ethanol fuels. I get Bosch II remans from Fuel Injection Connection. I used a 1227730 ECM inside the cab above the glove box but with a/c you really lose space. If I did another '67-'72 I would do a Corvette style weatherproof 1227727 PCM in the engine compartment-also used in W-body 3.1 cars. The wiring harness is different but the PROM is the same. Other than that it is pretty much plug-and-play.

I know there are many here that are anti-modern and say carbs forever-and that is fine. For me, I like old stuff with modern drivelines and fuel injection. LS is great, but if you have a good small-block already, TPI is ideal. The looks are IMHO the best looking small-block ever made. In my K20 I went from about 14/17 mpg to more like 17/20 with only an engine change to a '91 Corvette engine. Same exhaust manifolds and system, same (700R4) transmission, same (3.42) gears. It starts even in coldest weather in a couple revolutions or less. I can buy parts for it at any parts store.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project

Last edited by MARKDTN; 01-13-2021 at 11:00 AM.
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote