Thread: Project TN 20
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #21
R_W

Time to check the brakes

So this project started with "I'm only going to bleed the brakes."

Someone along the line upgraded to discs, and the pedal feel was really good, so I assumed a quick brake fluid flush and I would be good to go. Not so much.

I managed to loosen and crack open the left rear bleeder, and out came.....nothing. So I called the minions in to pull the back wheel:

The brake line fitting going into the wheel cylinder was already stripped, and had almost no chance of coming out easy, so I just cut it, and pulled out the wheel cylinder, to find what one would expect, more sludge.

If you have old fluid, this is what lurks inside for you.

I started investigating backwards where the fluid would flow, and figured it was the rubber hose running to the rear end. Much to my surprise some PO left me two for the price of one!

It looks like the rear end was at some time swapped to a 67-72, I suppose to get to 5 lugs. Like any good mechanic would, you can get the hoses to work by just screwing the 60-66 hose into the 67-72, no need to do any custom work or anything...

I've always wanted to give tube bending a shot, so I thought this is my chance. The 60-66 brake hose terminates in front of axle and drops to roughly the midpoint of the passenger side.

Then there is a long tube to the driver's side and a short one to the passenger side wheel cylinder. 67-72 terminates a little further back, and the hose drops to the center/right of the diff cover.

Since the 67-72 frame location is not available on my truck, I decided to route it to the cross member right behind the axle, and drop down to the 67-72 location.

Old vs new routing

Hose hookup location

And a '72 hose running to the '72 location

Re-run of the drivers side line

I started cutting the old hose to find out where I was not getting flow, and found it plugged with either swelling or a chunk of rust

This shot of the master cylinder with the rear flushed and the front not shows the reason to do it, look at the murkiness of the front fluid...

In the rear you can now see all the way down to the port.

Luckily the front flushed good, and now I can move on to my last few projects before driving season...

Days Not Running = 0
Days Left to Get Running = 38
Posted via Mobile Device

"Daddy, that truck's not red"
Build Thread: TN 20 Build
R_W is offline   Reply With Quote