Thread: Removing Stumps
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2022, 10:49 PM   #5
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

Re: Removing Stumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
It depends on the size of the stump of course, but I removed a few weed trees along the fence line in my back yard a few of summers ago. Cutting and digging in mostly the traditional way, axe, hatchet, shovel, etc. Then when it came to removing the stumps, I broke out the secret weapon. Believe it or not, an engine hoist works great. I happen to have a cheapie Harbor Freight folding model. It was for a project from years ago, just hanging out waiting for its next job. It did a fantastic job, by allowing me to keep some upward pressure in the stump and still work around the base. I did need to cut a few more roots, so the pressure helped a lot. I could see/feel the thing pop/jump when I cut the right ones. Jack it up some more and repeat. My neighbors on both sides and some random dude walking down the alley all stopped in at different times to comment about how smart that was, had never seen that done before. It made those years of it doing nothing worth holding onto it.
I have shared this idea with a coworker in the same predicament and it worked for him too. He borrowed one from a neighbor who thought it was a genius idea too.
Of course, if the stump is wider than the splay of the legs, it's probably not much help. If it's that big, you might need a pro with a stump grinder anyway.
All are welcome to this idea, but don't claim it as your own, give me credit (Even though no one will ever have a clue who that is...lol)
This would be Great, but no way to get it up on the hill
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote