View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 10:17 PM   #31
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Dual snorkel air cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Knowing that an open element allows for about 10 more HP, any dual inlet air filter I install will have to have the bigger snorkels like the Z/28 style. If I make an L79 style with the pre-'67 housings I have, they will get the fat inlets
I think that that is the best option, because I don't like the secondary roar like the cold air adapter that connects to the cowl would allow. I'm getting old, it's true! I'd still try to find a colder air source, though. Maybe I should look at the clearance between the radiator support and the hood for some cooler air. I have an '05 Corolla that I put a cold air intake on that fed air to the carburetor from where the driving lights would have been mounted in the front bumper. In 117 degree weather, that Corolla had a lot of trouble pulling the last hill home without dropping out of overdrive and sometimes actually dropping out of 4th gear. With that colder air, it could pull that hill without doing either. It gained me about .3 MPG, too (actually measured). I made it out of 2" ABS drain pipe pieces for a total cost of maybe $15. Over the 9 years that I commuted to work with it, I'm pretty sure I got that investment back.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote