View Single Post
Old 05-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #15
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Fuel Gauge not working????

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADTURNINGC10 View Post
Hey y'all stopping posting before you said how to fix the problem I have a 69 c10 the gauge is stuck at 3:00 but I can't get it to go back up by grounding it but the guy before me put an aftermarket fuse panel I bought the truck with it not working looked at tank and nothing was hooked up at all my gauge is reading 45 ohms post to post I know it's not the spec but does that mean I should replace it the truck is now my daily driver now and if any one can help Id mean alot pictures help colors would help I'm going crazy working on this thing
If you have an aftermarket fuse panel then you may not have the sending unit terminal marked on it. It actually says FUEL on the stock fuse panel. The terminal is located on the right end of the panel in the middle. The sending unit wire is a tan or light brown wire and the fuel gauge power wire is a pink wire at the no.3 pin on the cluster plug.

Name:  large fuse box.jpg
Views: 29482
Size:  69.0 KB

Name:  fuse panel.jpg
Views: 24396
Size:  69.5 KB

You may have to run the sending unit wire all the way to the gauge and connect it to the no.4 pin on the cluster plug or to the gauge terminal itself. I have heard of gauge resistor readings all the way to 85 ohms and the gauge still works OK so I would get it reading first and then you might have to replace the resistor to get it accurate depending on what the gauge reads at full and empty.
If you ground the sending terminal on the gauge you should read dead empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman78 View Post
Please help I am having the issue of my fuel gauge going way past full I have replaced both the sending unit and gauge I have no idea where the sending unit leed is supposed to hook to on the fuse box all the wires were painted by the previous owner have just tried to bypass wire harness with no luck and is there supposed to be a third wire on the back of the gauge please help
The third terminal on the gauge is the grounding hole for the gauge and no wire goes to it.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote