View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #10
Aberdare

Re: 1963 GMC Step-Van 7

Alright, as I get all the preparations underway to have my little beastie towed into the workshop during the holiday period, I have made some purchases... which include a 2nd chassis assembly that the engine and transmission will be hoisted onto, and I scored a complete front end from a 1966 C10! Also, a dual axle trailer kit for the body to sit on while the chassis is being restored... Kijiji can hide some real bargains if you're willing to do a little digging.

ok, so Stage 1 will be underway with lifting off the body, and also removing the engine and transmission. The engine will be fitted onto the 2nd chassis, then tucked away to be worked on later. The trailer will have the body dropped onto it, then shuttled back outside under a tarp. The chassis will be completely stripped down in preparation to be sent out to be dipped, then powder coated. Of course there will be a deluge of pictures to post and also use as a reference to refit brake lines, fuel line and the rear electrical, in addition to restoring/rebuilding the front & rear suspensions.

The Electrical System will be getting a complete re-wire as, in my opinion, 50 year old wiring is best used only as a template to fabricate a new harness. So, the harness to the rear will include proper gauged & colour code insulated wire, fabricated from nothing but 25 meter spools... and also include a proper Trailer Towing Package for 7-Pin RV Standard.

Further to the electrical system, will be an upgrade to a 120 amp alternator, with provisions for an electric trailer brake controller and an auxiliary 12 Volt System... and to keep things legal for my jurisdiction - upgrade the exterior lighting to include side markers and clearance lamps as well, with (just for convenience) interior lamps as well. So all the provisions will be made to the main harness in preparation for the lighting requirements.

Quick question for everyone out there... does anyone have any relevant information on a 120 amp alternator upgrade?

More to follow on this (with pictures), once this beastie is in the workshop.
Attached Images

I'm just going to put an OUT-OF-ORDER sign on my forehead... and call it a day.

Last edited by Aberdare; 12-17-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Aberdare is offline   Reply With Quote