View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 06:37 PM   #7
smoothone

Re: Steering Column Help

Well I finally fixed it. First let me first thank Tommy and Tilt for their help. If anyone has an issue like this what I did was to rent a steering wheel lock plate removal tool from Autozone. I compressed the column and removed the clip on the shaft to released the pressure from the spring. I was able to push the shaft down a bit and then I connected the intermediate shaft to the steering column shaft in the engine bay. I put the bolt through the notch on the steering shaft as it fit perfectly. I did make the mistake of tightening the bolt at this time.

When I when to compress the spring on the column inside the cab with the tool the spring would compress all the way and bottom out and I could not get the clip on because the notch for the clip was still a bit lower. I then loosened the bolt where the intermediate shaft connected to the steering shaft outside in the engine bay but I did not remove the bolt. I just loosened it enough so that the steering shaft gave a bit and I was able to move the steering shaft up the column just enough to where I could go inside and compress the spring and get the circlip on the column. I then went outside and tightened the bolt on the intermediate shaft.

I could not find any help anywhere on the net. I saw a couple of guys with the same problem in the Jeep forum since those columns are the same as ours no one posted a solution. I hope this helps someone in the future.
smoothone is offline   Reply With Quote