View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 05:07 PM   #10
jimmythompson1964

Re: 1966 C 10 - "Wild Thang"

My Christmas trip home to SC about 4 1/2 hr. drive was eventful Made into town for the family Christmas get together with no issues. Friday night I was playing around and threw the fan belt off...no big deal...stuck a new one on it...everything seemed OK. On the drive down I had been feeling a slight vibration but couldn’t pin point where it was coming from, Well Saturday afternoon I found out what the vibration was. I took a my uncle for a ride in “Wild Thang” I ran her through the gears feeling that 383 4 speed pull...when I grabbed 3rd gear she shot way sideways and we were looking at the trees for a minute but I got straightened out and slowed down, I immediately smelled antifreeze so I pulled over and opened the hood to see what hose burst. What I saw was the fan through the radiator with part of the water pump still attached, the water pump was broke off of the engine...never seen this kind of carnage on a water pump before. I was only about 2 miles from the Christmas party so I put the parts in the rear started it up took off got it up to speed then shut it down and coasted back to the party. I spent all the next day finding parts to put it back together so I could get home. My friend came and picked me up and drove me around to gather all my parts including giving me pulleys and brackets off of a 81 Camaro he bought to build a dirt track car. Its always good to have friends with extra parts.
Attached Images

jimmythompson1964 is offline   Reply With Quote