View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 11:36 AM   #106
RADustin

Re: 1976 CCSB Duramax Project #trucknamedsue

Update Time.

finished out turn signal- I think it came out nice.

worked on finishing up the metal work on the core support for now. To get it ready for blast and prime.

Had to make some tabs to attach the rear of the hood latch header panel since I cut off this area earlier on.

filled a bunch of holes. cut out these tiny fillers, numbered to their respective hole.

flipped the frame and mounted the trailer hitches I made earlier-

I then started the process of taking the frame apart and finishing out all the pieces. Not a ton of pics from this process as from a birds eye few nothing changed. Just alot of detail work, final welding, grinding, etc.

pallet of parts-

welded out all the 4 links. 7 passes on each end. took a while.

vid on the positioner- (not sure if it'll work?)

using the trailer hitches and some scrap pieces I made a little rotisserie to flip the frame. I was able to finish filling holes and gouges very quickly, and used this system to paint the frame.

metal finished everything and sanded the remaining primer to get ready for more primer to seal in the metal. primed up frame-

sanded the frame back out and got it ready for paint. Satin Black. My Dad sprayed it for me, I'm very thankful for his help. I stress out far too much to paint large items.

got the finish pretty close to the powdercoat test card-

cleaned and painted the real axle. This AAM is massive. What I started with- already cleaned and primed the axle tubes-

cleaned, wire wheeled, sanded, and metal prepped-

primed-

painted semi gloss black-

sent the parts out to powdercoat. This run was a total of 59 individual parts.

took a little over a week to get them back.

started reassembly- front crossmember first-

engine mounts-

transmission and front 4 link-

front crossmember and sway bar mounts-

rear link mounts and crossmember-

rear section-

front coilover bucket-

the whole thing, excuse the messy work area-

spent a little time designing on the fuel tank/fuel system. The passenger tank will jockey into the drivers tank via an ecm controlled transfer pump. So I will use a standard 2 line sending unit in the passenger tank, a feed and vent.

The drivers tank will need several inputs/outputs. I'll use a 3 line sending unit, with the factory feed made into the engine return by removing the filter sock. The vent will be the vent and the factory return will be the fill from the transfer pump. I will add two bungs to the top of the tank for the feed and return for the lift pump. The feed will draw down into a sump on the bottom of the tank, that also has a small drain. While I'm at it, I'll probably weld a drain in the passenger tank as well, they are just nice to have.

I crudely modeled the tank and sender. Stock setup-

modified-

Let me know what you guys think. I'm real happy with the way things are turning out so far.

1976 GMC Sierra Classic C35 CCSB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...25#post8188825
RADustin is offline   Reply With Quote