Thread: Strange SPID ?
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2021, 06:49 PM   #33
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Strange SPID ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I was offering a reason the 350 and automatic, or any other engine/trans, not showing on the SPID. The Air Force had 454s in some '67 C10s?
Not '67. No 454s existed in MY 1967. A mechanic at a brake & tire shop I used to frequent -- he got to be my ''regular'' -- was a USAF motor pool veteran.
He told me a school bus they had for ferrying the pilots from the Ready Room to the Flight Line had a 454. He was a driver one day, and caused a backfire when double-clutching that cracked the exhaust manifolds. Being Gov't Property, they took the cost of new GM exhaust manifolds out of his paycheck for a few months. *
As far as CUCVs, maybe the Army and Air Force might have gone with [327] 350/350 set ups? IDK. The Navy Dept believed cheapness counts so 250/3OTT was the rule.
*[Could be a Sea Story. What's the difference between a Sea Story and a Fairy Tale? Fairy Tales start out with ''...Once upon a time..." Sea Stories begin: "Thus is a true story, No $hit..."]
I think the U-2 program had an El Camino with a 454 for running down the runway alongside the plane on landings. Driver radioed ground speeds to the pilot who couldn't see much runway due to the long nose.
'68 C/10 Stepside w/396 for a FOLLOW ME truck? Yeah, sure... True story, no $hit...

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote