Thread: NJ Suburban
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2021, 04:15 PM   #266
pwdcougar

Re: NJ Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
One thing wish I had done at the stage you're at would have been to fabricate some mounting points for 2nd row shoulder harness seat belts.
I am going to take advantage of the impending repair work and convert my fuel tank to a non-vented gas cap. I am tired of the gas cap leaking when doing going around a tight right turn at speed with more than 1/2 a tank of fuel. Previously I installed a vent in the fuel tank sender and will route it to the driver's side and hook it to 72 Suburban style evap set up. Might be something to consider.
What are you planning for bumpers?
Have your rebuilt the door hinges?
The kick panel vent doors on mine needed new seals installed.
How is your heater core? It sure would be easier to replace with no front clip.
I don't remember if you replaced the spring shackles when you installed the new springs.

Lots of good tips here thanks! I don't think I'll do the second row 3 point seatbelt brackets. I'm not sure I'll even put the second row seats in. Funny my Sub was my daily driver from the early 80's till 1997. Never had a problem with gas coming out of the gas cap! I have bumpers but haven't done anything with them yet. They could be sandblasted and primed. I'll probably go with white painted bumpers. I'll have to look up the rebuild kits for all the door hinges. Not sure I'll need to though. My 68 donor body was from a low mileage truck but I'll definitely check them out. A few months ago I rebuilt and detailed the heater box complete with new seals and a new heater core. One of the original 70 style kickpanel vents disappeared. Both 68 vents are in my pile of parts so I'll install them. Where did you find seals for them? Maybe that's something I can install too. The springs are the originals. Ride height is good but I should look up new shocks.

Originally the truck was non power drums on all four corners. The guy I sold it to converted to power drums. I need to source a replacement master and booster assembly. The one in it is pretty ratty.

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote