View Single Post
Old 09-22-2021, 02:02 PM   #16
LT7A

Re: 1980 Chevy K20 Longbed - “Alaskan Gold”

Good info Nick, and thanks for letting me hijack your thread a little bit to compare notes. My MSD box is on my TBI truck. From the beginning, that truck has been about tweaks, rather than component replacement like camshaft, etc. That's why I added the MSD. And actually, even with the 3.73 rear end, I very seldom run it over 3,000 rpm. I would call working on those engines - hot rodding by degrees. Unless you take the leap and get a custom chip made, you're pretty limited as I'm sure you know. I'm not convinced of the value in mail order chips since my truck runs really well. The cumulative effect of all of the tweaks is a truck that runs much stronger than new, with 235,000 mi. So I don't regret the MSD box, or the wider gap since each little effect adds up. I may split the difference though down to 40/1000s to save a little wear and tear on the ignition components. Appreciated the pothole jumping analogy, that was well done. I still I feel like the ignition system sends the same power, based on the coil and lack of resistance. And then it either jumps the gap or it doesn't. I don't see how the gap determines how much juice is sent down the wire. That's why I like talking about this stuff, because I always learn.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote