View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 06:37 PM   #20
Cole Trickle
C-10 Club Member

Re: Project "Old Yeller"

I was informed by the wife on friday evening that she had a last second baby shower to attened in the morning and that I would be watching my 15 month old the whole day.

Woke up in the morning and decided we would take old yeller (69 shorty) for our first father son cruise. Called my buddy Rich and headed to my old place of work to hang out and show off the truck.

Packed the diaper bag strapped in the car seat and we hit the road after mom blew us kisses and took a couple pics....

My son loves the truck....I don't know what the deal is but since the day I brought her home he has had some kind of connection. He loves hanging out in the garage and almost mandates that I sit him on my lap so he can hold the wheel and grab the shifter. whats funny is he tries to bang gears and makes car noises when hes doing it...lol

Took the truck up and over the toll road.....It was about 30 miles one way and once again she ran flawlessly. cruised at about 70 mph

Once I met up with Rich and we looked over the truck we decided to throw her on the dyno to see what were working with. I knew the motor ran good but have no idea what she is taching headed down the road or what rear end gearing she has?

We drove the truck on and strapped her down...After a brief cool down we made a couple passes to see where we stood. Logan helped uncle Rich navigate the dynojet controls while sipping a cocktail...haha

Here is the dyno graph... (crate 350,factory manifolds,AC and PS)

199 rwhp
300 rwtq

Here is what I learned...... Based on the edelbrock 1406 carb and performer intake I was guessing at a 270hp/tq crate motor (this would have equated after drivetrain loss 15% to about 225 to the wheels)

My guess is the PO installed some kind of RV cam to bump up the tq and it cost some hp. The real world engine hp numbers on this truck are closer to 230hp/345 tq

We also figured out the truck is tacking about 2700 at 70 mph (she topped out at 125mph in 4th at 5,000 rpm) Based on the tranny (sm465) I would imagine I have 3:08 -3:23 gears.(my guess based on factory options)

Truck is going to need new heads,cam,headers and exhaust to get to my goal of 300rwhp.

Over all we had great day and my kid enjoyed the rumble of the truck so much he slept the whole way home........
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote