View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 08:08 PM   #1
pat english

"Title only"in California? Change of power plant?

I got the title with my truck,but it hasn't been registered in about 20 years.so it's not In the DMV system anymore.
I'm wondering if I can get a "title only" in my name without doing smog,tags & insurance right now.has anyone in ca done this?I've read what it says on the DMV website,but its not very clear.other states dmv websites explain "title only" better.like in Nevada it says that you can get a title only without doing smog,registration, or insurance.

The reason I ask is because I need time to get my truck running and dont want to start paperwork at the dmv and be in a rush to get it inspected & weighed and smogged.if I had to pay a tow truck to haul it to the dmv & weigh station,I could have just bought a running truck.
(Only paid $300 for the truck.82 gmc 3500 3+3)

(Also planning a 6.2 diesel swap.hopfully that can be done.the lady on the phone wasn't exactly sure about it so the smog referee is supposed to call me in a few days.it says on there website that you can do a change of power plant as long as the engine is 1 year newer then the model truck and was offered in that body style & weight class.
The thing she wasn't sure about was switching to a smaller displacement engine.she said you can go up,but not down in displacement.thats not specified on the website,so I'll be waiting to hear from the smog referee.if anyone has any direct info or knowledge on this I'd like hear what you had to do,otherwise I'll report back when (or if) the smog ref calls.
Thanks,
Pat
pat english is offline   Reply With Quote