View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #78
Red88

Re: First hand experience with changing to the NBS master cylinder WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I'm confused. You didn't have less braking power with the original booster and NBS master. You just needed more pedal effort, which is the entire point of the swap. You changed the master cylinder to get a firmer pedal, then changed the booster style to get a less firm pedal? Sounds like you just needed a correctly functioning OBS master and 10.75" booster to begin with... Your diaphram research and pictures are excellent btw!
Sorry if my explanation wasn't straight forward enough. In my truck the old master had a spongy pedal which also means it didn't stop very well. The NBS master had a much firmer pedal but I really had to stomp on the brakes to stop. Adding the dual diaphram booster gave me both a firm pedal and the stopping power I was looking for.

I don't know for sure if I had a correctly functioning OBS master and booster. No leaks, tested ok. I do know that the truck didn't brake very well at all. From what I read that is a common complaint of owners of these trucks. I think it's a fair assumption that the standard brakes on these trucks were not adequate for alot of owners. There were 3 different brake options on 1/2 ton trucks. Good-better-best. Good wasn't very good IMHO.