Thread: 47-55.1 eBay steering column
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 02:03 PM   #18
Livemeyer

Re: eBay steering column

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
half price = buy it twice. ask gigamanx, crossfire, or just do a search at the top for ebay column. this is probably what you will turn up.

https://lvvta.org.nz/documents/infos...ng_Columns.pdf

believing you deserve a break from high prices because you have already spent a lot isnt really a good way to think about it, by the way. things cost what they cost. there are lots of budget tips on this forum and lots of guys that will help reduce costs of things that arent safety related, so dont get discouraged.
THIS is exactly the info I was looking for. Not just a blanket statement "Buy American" but justification that staying away from the cheaper product poses a safety risk. I didn't say I wouldn't buy the Ididit or Flaming River column; I was looking for specific reasons why I should spend the extra money. I didn't say I believed I deserved a break from more expensive items, I simply don't want to pay more for a product than I need to. It's reasonable to spend less for a comparable product if two manufacturers make exactly the same thing. Your document shows to me exactly why these two items are not the same, especially where safety is concerned. This is why I started this thread, to find some fact-based information about why one product is better than another. Opinions about this stuff carry less weight. People's direct experiences with the product, good or bad, and factual safety information like what you provided were what I was after. So, decision made: I will forgo the new column for now and just buy a mast jacket bearing to repair my original column, then buy a new column this winter when I have the funds.
Livemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote