Thread: 47-55.1 eBay steering column
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 06:02 PM   #21
Livemeyer

Re: eBay steering column

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
Here is what I'm doing, and this is just me. 53 3100 3 window. Steering box rebuild cost for parts and machine shop about $100. You can get the ball bearings from McMaster Carr for a couple of bucks. I am installing "EPAS" electric power steering. It's about the size of a pint jar and tucks up under the dash. No pumps, hoses, belts or pulleys. If it fails it's like any other just goes back to manual. It's adjustable gain. I'm putting the gain control in the throttle hole with the throttle knob on it. Total cost about $1500. Using stock steering box and column. I got a steering wheel and turn signal mech off a 57 truck from a junk yard, $20. I had the local welding company shorten and weld the column and shaft 4" because of the dished steering wheel of the 57, $30. I got a new internal switch for the mech, $30. I changed out the turn signal handle for the Dakota Digital cruise control handle. It looks pretty stock. Self canceling, indicator lights, cruise control, stock horn button and power steering. Also an added plus no U joints. I have another 57 wheel at home that I plan on putting a smaller ring on. I went this direction primarily for simplicity. I have way to much going on in there as it is. I also went with electric A/C for the same reason. Plus there is always the chance chicks will dig it. Thank you for your time.
Very interesting. There's some of that I won't be doing but the electric power steering interests me. I'd love to see a photo of that setup. Like I said earlier I want to do some sort of IFS conversion in the future so I think a standard power steering setup may be what I end up doing. The electric power steering sounds awesome but also very expensive. I'll likely be doing an electric window wiper motor conversion at some point and also the electric air conditioning would be something for me to look into.
Livemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote