View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #1037
NewType72

Re: 1972 Chevy p/u NewType Build

So Ever since I was little and my pops built a 70' CST for a customer of his I always enjoyed the look of the 90's air dam underneath the front of these gorgeous rounded line trucks. Some will disagree but to me they really add a quality element to these classic trucks.

For the longest time I ran one just ziptied to the bumper and anywhere a hole could reach a mounting spot and I knew it was really hokey but simply didn't have the time to think it through with all the work I was doing on pops 73' at the time.

This last week was finally the time I chose to tackle the airdam mounting!

I started off with a 2wd airdam with all the factory clips still intact and in fairly good condition overall, I used my wood car lift blocks to get the front up in the air to use the creeper while I worked. Utilizing the three large jack stands I have I positioned the airdam loosely taking my time to visualize where mourning could work along with the proper lining up with the body and bumper.

I found that the end portions would easily utilize a fresh hole in the fender cup with a proper bolting setup so that was no issue, I also saw that the outer bumper brackets could in fact be used to run a long bolt down to attach through a factory clip on the air dam, the only area I actually needed to modify were the inner portions directly under the framehorns and with a simple step drill and using tape and quick measurements the factory clips moved a couple inches total to line up with the frame horn mounting area.

Taking an easy pace I took quick victims of all the mounting holes on the fender cups/frame horns/brackets as well as the new air dam clip holes. I used a 9/32 hole for all 6 bolt thread holes and at least a 3/8 or 7/16 hole for the clip as to not change the grip strength but I matched it directly to what was used from GM

Time to go to the store. The clips used a 6mm sized bolt so I picked up four 1 1/4 length hex head bolts along with the 2 2 1/4" length bolts for the taller mounts. Grabbed the corresponding flat and lock washers and two 1/4 hole rubber fender washers to aide the paint disruption the plastic would cause during driving and the rumble of the countless junk roads here in California. I had a couple 1" tall steel spacers to take up the gap from the bumper brackets.

Time to bolt up!! The fender cups were definitely the trickiest part of this as I needed to use my battery powered impact driver with a long extension just to reach down into the cup but I proved that this is easily a one person job regardless. Time to tighten up and put her back on the ground!

Boy with how the lines roll right from the bumper into the air dam and how the wheel opening lines up exactly on target I'm very stunned with the look of this add-on. 20+ years apart on design but they work well together IMO and hopefully to some of you out there looking for a quick 30$ visual upgrade.

I've already driven quite a few trips on the freeway and around town and I must say it is very solid how it is mounted and definitely takes whatever may come it's way. Thank you all for checking out my write up for this and let me know your thoughts good and bad I'll enjoy them all

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
NewType72 is offline   Reply With Quote