View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #24
Beatcoaster
69 Fleetside

Re: custom subwoofer boxes

Custom_10:

The boxes are glued and screwed with 3/4" MDF, with a 3/4" recess ring getting the woofer below the top of the box. I bought some terminals from parts-express, installed those and caulked the interior of the boxes. then carpetted them with spray adhesive and box carpet. Then install acousta-stuf, a butyl gasket(3m windowsealer) on the speaker ring and finally install the speaker compressing the butyl rubber ring and screwed them in place. Height of the boxes is 5.5"x13"widex15"deep which is giving me about .30 for an internal volume, the speakers spec'd at .35 but they still sound nice.

Be aware that the woofer must be placed rearward of the seat's front springs(notice placement in the box) and that you check to see if your seat springs depress into the woofer cone(mine may be stronger than others - or weaker). This can be accomplished with a friends hand between the seat and woofer cone and you simulating bumps with your full weight on it(my wife was scared about me squishing her hand - but nothing happened! ) With this setup you must place the speaker boxes(not bolted) then install the seat. Slide teh boxes around a bit to position and then bolt down the seat. The seat cannot be bolted first as the boxes will not slide in due to the ridge in the floorpan. Because of this you cannot install the inner rear seat bolt(unless you have a magic contorting wrist and socket wrench so be sure to get longer and stronger seat bolts/bigger washers as you will only have 6 now. On a positive note, there is no way for thieves to access of remove the amp/speakers without unbolting the entire seat and removing it, and the boxes will not slide anywhere at all...

Feel free to ask anymore questions!
Beatcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote