View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 05:38 PM   #7
Dexterb

Re: Blue Two Tone 1990 Suburban Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Glad the 'Burb got the nod for the coolness plan. Nice looking rig.
Thanks!

So last night tore the front and rear brakes off. I've never disconnected the emergency brake cable before from a drum brake assembly, well not entirely true... with 4x4 stuff I just cut them right off with a zip cut behind the backing plate and didn't care about the e-brake. Ended up doing a little searching for tips/tricks after I couldn't get it using some vice grips and discovered the box end of a 1/2" wrench made simple work of it, just turned back and forth with the wrench and pulled on the back side of the cable and it popped right out. I also tried used a hose clamp but didn't have any luck using that method.

When I was out the day before grabbing some supplies I noticed some flare nut wrenches on sale so I picked them up, and i think this is the first time I didn't partially or fully round off a tube nut when disconnecting brake lines.

My 3 yr old son likes helping out, he usually pushes his way in to unscrew bolts and likes to drag any wrench i put down for a minute to the other side of the truck. lol

Hopefully tonight/tomorrow I have time to pull the diff out and cut the backing plates off and start cleaning it up for paint in preparation for the rear disc brakes to arrive.

I work a schedule that is 7 day on, 7 off, and i'm currently on day 2 of 7 working, so progress might be limited until next week as I get up at 4:30am and leave by 5am and get home at 7pm.

Dexterb is offline   Reply With Quote