View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #27
blue1969camaro

Re: '80 C10 drag truck project

Well I'm back at school now and have been making some good progress. Today the truck "rolled" although it was held up by jacks because I don't have the upper shock mounts in. I got my pro nodular iron center section with 4.10 gears and spool and 35 spline axles from Strange and man this is some heavy duty S**t this will definitely hold up everything I got for a while. I made my solid transmission mount today so that I can measure for a drive shaft soon. I think I'm going to do something to stiffen it up, maybe put two bars parallel to the drive shaft and connect them to the ladder bar cross member then i can put my drive shaft loop between them. I just need to figure out a way to make the trans cross member removable to ease in trans removal. I also need to change the output shaft and extension housing to a 400 one that is a 350 one which makes it a th375 or something if I remember correctly. I put a set of junk heads on a junk block that was laying around the shop and bolted my headers on to make sure I will have plenty of room for exhaust. The headers are a set I picked up at Carlisle a few years ago, I need to patch one hole and they are a little beat up but I guess they will work on this mild motor for a while. Here is a few pics.

I also got some motor work done. I finished the porting on both heads, cleaned them all up and ground the valves and seats. I then started screwing in the rocker studs, I tapped the bosses a while ago, making sure to use plenty of sealant and torquing to 45 ft/lbs. The first head went great, but on the third stud on the second head I heard a weird click that was not my torque wrench so I turned it more and sure enough it cracked the stud boss. I was pretty pissed because I had so much time it the damn thing but oh well, I have another set 062 vortec heads at home so Ill just grab one next weekend when I go home and start all over. I did install the other head and rockers though so its starting to look like something. Here is a pic of the cracked head that we used as a magnafuxing demo in class.

And here are a few pics of the good head that I "ported" it was really only a gasket match on the intake side and cleaning up the rough walls a little, which I will probably do to the intake also. Its just a cheap summit one and the casting is real rough.

blue1969camaro is offline   Reply With Quote