View Single Post
Old 08-15-2021, 11:14 AM   #683
88Stanger

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
What I learned when investigating the subject of controlling noise:

Covering everything costs more. If you don't mind the additional expense, installation effort, & weight.... 100% coverage isn't bad.

If you're simply trying to remove the 'tin-can' reverb from all the large, flat, steel panels.... partial coverage @ strategic locations gets that job done. Smaller sections/area with curves or hard angles don't really have an issue w/vibration or 'tinning'.

A sound barrier over the vibration isolating mat is what helps reduce exterior noise levels.

High end vehicles utilize a vibration absorption layer which typically also has some temp barrier shielding (the cheaper quality of the product typically = the cheaper the temp insulating ability).

On top of that, a sound absorbing closed cell foam barrier is added to absorb... noise.

On top of that is a mass loaded vinyl barrier to isolate what's happening below keep it from your ears.

On top of that is carpet w/jute again in strategic locations.
Scoti,
I agree with you 100%. I base what i am doing off of previous done truck and well honestly it just bugs me if it is not all done, kinda like a spotty paint or tattoos. Now this is only my personal thought but its like a person who gets covered in tattoo that have no connection to the next one or are one continuous piece, me personally i cannot do that. I do not mind it and it can look good, but i cannot.
So as your point to deadedning sound, the "tinny" sound is produced on long flat panels and not on curves or bends and you can just add the deadener to those areas (this is how i do the inside of the doors).
I think that it is neither right or wrong to put it everywhere, just costs time and $$ for product to put it everywhere.
Thanks for the input!

With that said, Scoti, what you think about adding it to the roof inside the cabin, where the head liner will go?
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote