View Single Post
Old 02-20-2023, 01:31 AM   #174
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Dream Car Build - Shelby Cobra Kit

Started working on the dash. I made a cardboard template and after 4 tries I think I have a gauge layout I like. I wanted the tach and speedometer behind the steering wheel. There are 4 other small gauges, only 1 will fit between the tach and speedometer. I tried putting all of them within that circle of the wheel but it just wasn't fitting where you could easily see all of them. So I set up 3 to the right in a way that looks good to me.

Going to try and find a 3 position toggle switch for the blinkers and put it to the left of the column, close to where a column mounted one would be. A guy makes a blinker setup based on an old VW part but over $300 is pretty pricey just to do what a $5 switch can do.

I will need to pick spots for the ignition switch, start button (I want one), headlight switch and dimmer, and horn. The wife thinks it should have tunes other than the exhaust notes, so I'm thinking just a Bluetooth setup with Amp driving the speakers. Minimal head unit. The spot in front of the shifter will make a good spot for a speaker. No idea yet where other speakers will go.

As far as getting the gauges working, I have the sending units for the engine connected, got confirmation from Dakota digital that the tremec VSS output is good enough for the speedometer, tach wire comes from the engine harness, just leaving the voltage gauge wires which are pretty straight fwd. I think I'll have those connected by next weekend.

Lots more looking up wheels and trying to figure out what will fit. I measured what it on the chassis now and measured the width of the body at the top of the wheel opening. Stock wheels are 15x7 with 4.75" bs. I have 2" more room to the inside on the rear. Really no room to the inside in front. Only looking at 8" wide in front, with the same bs, which should fit to the wheel opening really well. Lots of room in back because the body is based on the 427 cobra which has larger tires. Found an online calculator for backspacing/offset and also for comparison of wheels based on those values.

https://www.customwheeloffset.com/ti...ogle&utm_term=

Looks like I can fit an 11" wheel with the right bs. The hard part is finding a wheel style that has the right sizes for both the front and rear, most don't. I could run a 9" front and rear but that's not the look I want. So I have a couple options, one is great for fit but I kinda like the look of the other more. I've contacted the mfr about getting a rear wheel that they sell with the right offset but wrong bolt pattern (off by .7mm).

So many decisions to make.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote