View Single Post
Old 02-09-2024, 03:34 PM   #52
1972CheyenneSuper

Re: '72 Super Project: Updates!

Next up, was trying to put the steering column back together that I had taken apart 15-16 years ago. My findings were inconclusive for a definitive step by step guide. After a couple of hours searching here, trying to decipher the various assembly manual drawings, and in the end I ended up not finding much in the way of working on a non-tilt column. While this is not a 100% everything guide, it should help the person sitting there with a pile of parts, or followed in reverse for the person that wants to make a pile of parts. I'll post this in the main group area as well.

First things, if you don't want to assemble this whole unit and have to disassemble it twice, remove the lower retainers, and fully remove the inner tube and clean all paint and old grease from the area circled in red, as well as the internal mating surfaces of what I call the shifter cup, the piece that your shift lever will attach to with the drive pin. You'll see through out this guide that the area in question is painted, yes I did end up disassembling everything and doing it twice. This area is what is going to determine how nice your shifter feel is along with the lower retainer which should be cleaned thoroughly and lightly greased.

*NOTE* These areas should be lightly greased as well as any areas in which you can see needing lubrication. I didn't document each piece I greased, as grease and using a camera alternating back and forth isn't the easiest. If it's a contact surface of metal to metal and moves, it should probably be greased.

Install the firewall seal/boot, followed by the firewall retainer/bracket.

I installed my neutral safety switch at this time, can be done really whenever though.

Install the dash grommet

Install the metal washer first, followed by the nylon washer aligning the notch with the notch in the column.

Pass the turn signal switch harness through the turn signal lever cup and through the shifter cup. Be sure to clip the harness into the little wire management clips on the switch to help route it the proper area of the column. A bundle of wire will not allow everything to seat and you will risk damaging the harness. Slide the shifter cup onto the steering column and align the notch with the inner tube notch. Remember to remove all paint and old grease from these surfaces and lubricate them.

Attach turn signal cup to shifter cup, lining up opening notches to allow it to seat fully, then rotate turn signal cup clockwise to retain on outer column shaft notches.

Install nylon washer with rubber aligning with notches on column shaft.

Install upper bearing and bearing holder onto turn signal switch. Pack upper bearing with fresh grease.

Align hazard switch with hole and push in the hazard switch to help ease install. While also feeding the wire harness through the cups, continue to work the switch into the cup.

Align with the shifter cup and install the three retaining screws.

Pictures weren't taken past this point, but the rest is fairly explanatory. Install the wire cover and secure with the bend over tabs and the dash grommet. Install your turn signal lever and shift lever when you are ready. I'm keeping mine out until I'm mostly wrapped up with interior assembly. One less thing to catch and break.

Shift lever anti-rattle boot:

This is the only source for the small rubber boot that I have been able to find. Happened to stumble across it.

https://www.classicparts.com/1967-74...info/91%2D108/

Hopefully this helps at least one person. If I missed a similar guide, please correct but I searched high and low within my abilities.

Last edited by 1972CheyenneSuper; 02-09-2024 at 04:22 PM.
1972CheyenneSuper is offline   Reply With Quote