Thread: 71 or 72?
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2022, 08:59 PM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Re: 71 or 72?

Sounds like you got it figured out. who knows why the seller didn't know what year truck they were selling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
I realize the VIN is definitive. However there are other identifiers:
Is the rear view mirror on the window or roof?
Does it have the astro-vent on the inside of the drivers door jam?
Does it have the screw on the inside of the door just below the vent window handle?
Is the truck Medium Gold (1971 only color)
Is the truck Red (1971 only color)

Help me out here as there has to be many more differences.
Not counting things like the tires that are long gone on most trucks.
I asked about the mirror mount area, '71s had the astro-vent, and the doors are one thing I was talking about when I said parts can be switched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
The pin striping/black accents on the grill are different 71 vs. 72

Looks cut and dry that his cab at a minimum is a 72 to me though.
We didn't know about the mirror mounting yet, so could have been either. It's rare to find that black accent showing still on original grilles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
I think perhaps the first question should be - did the VIN you shared in post #1 come from the metal vin tag or off the SPID? If the former, and rosettes are intact, mystery solved, it's a 72. If the latter, then pls confirm or post the metal tag VIN. Beyond those two scenarios - I'm not sure the unique differences between a 71 and 72 matter at all for this question.
Unless the VIN was replaced. There are rosettes to be found out there, yet. And you seem to be overlooking the mirror mount area that a '71 can would have vs smooth header panel in '72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
I have witnessed MANY people who go by the "First Date/Month Registered" that appears on the title.
Some states titled using that criteria.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote