View Single Post
Old 04-24-2024, 08:18 AM   #46
landarts
landarts

Re: Super Cheyenne aka the "Devil Cowboy"

Started working on the drinker side rear of the cab where the big crease was. First I started inside the cab where I could see part of the crease before the double wall metal covered up the rest of it. Tried a few different ways to work the metal with a hammer and dolly and that just was not cutting it or getting the crease to move much. Then I remembered that I have a few attachments that go on a hammer and if I go slow and throttle it down a bit I might be able to get this to move in the right direction. That seemed to do the trick on the lower half of the crease. So now I need to address the rest of the crease on the upper half that is where the metal has the additional skin on the inside of the cab around the window.

I used a stud gun and the Steck Lever to pull on the metal on both sides of the crease while I beat on the crease with an autobody hammer. That really helped get the metal moving. Then I took a metal straight edge and kept checking the area and pounding with a slapping spoon and a shrinking hammer. Got the area pretty close so that it would take a thin layer of filler to get it right for paint.

Went over the other six or seven areas on the backside corner of the cab and got them worked out good enough for filler. All of these areas were not big dents they were just too deep for filler. Most of this work on the corner of the cab took about two hours to get it into filler and rough sanded with an air board with 36 grit.

Pic 1-Skim coat on top of roof
Pic 2-Two small holes that need to be addressed, will have to remove one of the lights to get some backing underneath the hole so it can get hammered downward since it is peaked right now.
Pic 3-A look from inside where the crease is
Pic 4-Doing some stud pulling on the upper side of the crease
Pic 5-First round of filler
Attached Images

68 Second Chance
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
72 K10 Custom
71 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote