View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #12
camrycurt

Re: Questions about driving stick shift- 4 speed on floor

Agree with everything said above. In the SM465, granny 1st and reverse are unsynchronised so you have to be at a dead stop to shift into either one of those. Both of those gears are so low that I just lift my foot off the clutch at idle and the truck starts to move. If I give it any gas at all starting in 1st or reverse my truck will buck and jump.

For normal street driving you can start out in 2nd. Granny low is only for towing, big loads, real tough work, etc. Some guys even start in 3rd, but I find that a little trickier. Alot of times you can start in 2nd and jump right over to 4th.

And if you have any forward momentum at all and need to downshift (for going around a turn, etc.) don't even try going into 2nd - you'll never get it engaged unless you slow almost to a stop - third gear is all you need to drop into. Unless I'm just creeping along I only use 3rd and 4th.

The SM465 is a great truck transmission and is a lot of fun. It's a tough transmission too, so just get out and drive and enjoy your truck.

Hope that helps! Have fun!

1970 C/10, 250 L6 with Rochester BV carb, SM465 4 speed, 3.73 open rear
camrycurt is offline   Reply With Quote