View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 10:41 PM   #13
Nova70

Re: piggyback'n alternators

Not to contradict anyone, but DO NOT ever use an Optima. They have voltage spikes unlike any other battery I have ever seen. If you want to fry some headunits and amps then go for it. A lot of factory car electronics, with the exception of quality amps, are fairly sensitive to voltage. Yellow tops spike up to 16 volts and will fry a headunit in a second. I know some people will chime in, "I've never had any problems." That's for now, you may get lucky and it wont happen at all, but as for me, I wouldn't take the chance. Go with just about anything else. I personally suggest XS Power, I've had nothing but good luck and their customer support is top notch.

Edit- I need to take pics of my system. Haven't taken pics of my new setup.

Here was the old setup that got torn out. Before anyone says anything, yes that port is FU**ED up. lol. I made the mistake of letting someone not so skilled with a jigsaw cut it. It wasn't in for long before the new setup so I didn't bother fixing it. It was a 4th order tuned to 37hz, 24^ cubes in the front chamber, 8^ in the rear. Was 4 15's and did it's job for the time it was in action.

Current setup that I'll get pics of soon is 6 Audioque HDC3 18's on a SounDigital 12KD @ .7 in a series tuned 6th order. It gets DIIRRTTYY on the lows.

Last edited by Nova70; 10-23-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Nova70 is offline   Reply With Quote