Suspension type: Factory HD Springs, front and rear
Front differential type / Gears: Dana 44 4:10
Rear differential type / Gears: Dana 60 4:10

Engine

Cubic Inch: 350
Manufacturer: GM

Transmission

Standard: 4 speed

This month’s theme is “rain, mud, snow and all that fun sloppy stuff” befitting what my truck is all about. It’s not a high-power, heavily modified off-road mud toy by any stretch of the imagination. It’s actually quite utilitarian, VERY rough around the edges, and definitely not pampered. It is after all what almost every one of our trucks was when new – a means to an end – a mere tool used to get some task done. To think that it has survived 32 years of hard labor intact and still performing its intended duty speaks volumes for these year trucks. After all, this truck has always been in New England where the years are not kind to vehicles of any kind, especially 4x4’s. For these reasons, I believe it’s deserving of TOTM, despite its obvious lack of “sex-appeal”.
A little history on my truck. When purchased new, it was intended to be a plow truck. It was ordered with HD springs (front and rear), HD clutch, cab roof clearance lights, medium blue paint, and not much more, not even power steering. It’s been outfitted with the same 8 foot Fisher plow since it left the dealership. There is evidence it had a sanding/salting unit installed in the bed at one time as well. Not much has been done to this old girl over the years. It still has the original split rims on the rear and everything is intact and functioning. I’d venture to guess that it’s gone nearly as many miles in reverse as it has forward, most of it in 4lo. Someone did give it a Dubie-style suede black paint job (sans flames), and I installed the blue bench seat.
Future plans for it are to install power steering as turning the wheel with the big heavy plow and no PS is difficult to say the least. I’ve also refurbished another cab and have a rust-free bed awaiting the day I can tear it down. The plan is to put a 68 GMC nose on it and paint it 67/68 medium green. I’ve got the correct ¾ ton 4x4 dog dish hubcaps for it too, and if things go well I’ll have a 292 I6 to transplant.
Do I expect to win TOTM? No, as the others have much greater visual appeal to the majority of board members and deservedly so. I suspect however, there many be a small handful of members who share my function-over-form viewpoint. Thanks for looking.
Attached Images