View Single Post
Old 12-17-2019, 12:00 AM   #27
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Re: Rodstored-72's 1986 DD build

I had a very big weekend a couple of weeks ago, the weather was clear and warm enough to paint and my friend who paints was able to come over and help….. I FINALLY was able to paint the radiator support, inner fenders and the firewall ….yyaaa!!!. I have never used an hvlp gun before so with guidance from the “master” this “grasshopper” gave it a shot!! I learned that I spray too heavy as a result of not moving the gun fast enough. Luckily I did not cause any runs, but I used more paint than should have. After the second coat we both came to the realization that I needed to hand the sprayer over to the “professional”. The third coat was sprayed and all looked good. After a bit of dry time we then proceeded to shoot 2 coats of clear. I knew better than to try my hand at that so my friend kept his magic wand moving and the coats came out very smooth, with all cleared we went back and looked everything over. With everything done there were only 2 noticeable small runs. I let everything dry a bit and then moved all the parts inside for the night. The next day we shaved down the runs and re checked everything. Overall I am very happy with the results. Here are a few pics. The truck was repainted before I bought it; the color used appears to be close (darker/deeper) to the factory color. I really like the factory color….
Attached Images

rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote