View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #35
SCOTI

Re: Rodstored-72's 1986 DD build

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
The next item up for completion was to get the main Vintage Air A.C. unit installed. I previously talked to a rep. for them at Dino’s get down and was able to confirm my idea of being able to skip using the firewall plate and just transfer the hole size & location directly to the firewall. I liked this because it looked great on my ’72 (with a smoothed firewall) and I did not like the test fit of the plate on my ’86. I tediously tested the hole locations & finally verified that I could install the unit & the holes would be correctly located. After some manly persuasion & finessing it was bolted in place & the lines are situated well, although the lower heater hose line is a little short poking thru for the hose clamp. Overall I am happy with the install
I am now in the process of attaching a few hoses to the unit & the vents. This is frustrating because the hose is round, but the vent/unit ends are rectangular/oval…… . Trying to get a good “seal”/fit is not soo smooth. If I remember from my previous install I used zip ties to hold the hose at each end for a good fit & then used “metal duct” tape to “seal” connection
Helpful hints or method would be gladly accepted….
What does VA say about this? This is one of those things I don't like about the aftermarket stuff that we invest in to make our vehicles nicer. Manufacturers of an 'elite' product line having round hose ends that have to seal on not-round ducting ports??

Here's an idea.... How about making the duct port & hose match where they connect? Or, how about making adapters that allow nice, tight, solid connections vs. having to figure it out on your own? If they have the capability to form & mold a case, one would think ducting that's plug-& play shouldn't be too much of a request.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote