View Single Post
Old 03-28-2019, 08:56 PM   #124
Jedema

Re: 49 GMC Five Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
I have never seen pressure regulators used for ride height, frankly I am racking my brain for why it wont work and coming up blank.

on the one hand if you have a leak the system will just leak down to the ground then lift back up (slowly) when you turn the compressor on. on the other if you have a leak free system the compressor will never run at all.

I would want to drive it and see what happens, as a wheel goes over a bump the bag will displace and with regular valves the pressure will spike, but with a regulator I am not sure of the mechanism, it may be like an adjustable check valve?

speaking of check valves, you might consider them because a hole in a line or a bag would drain the whole system and leave the whole truck flat.
first time post, long time stalker of many posts (also an industrial controls engineer who unfortunately deals with pneumatics from time to time).

Regulators will bleed off pressure when it gets past the setpoint automatically, so when your driving and go over a bump (or say a speed bump), I would be concerned that the regulator will see that spike and bleed off that spike pressure leaving you low on pressure when everything returns back to normal. the compressor will have to compensate for the pressure loss....

A workaround might be a check valve downstream of the regulator, however, then you will never get the air out of the system unless you have another valve upstream of the check valve, unless you use a Pilot operator check which has an air release to it.

I do really like the idea, one thing I've always been wondering about is how the airbag systems work under varying pressure levels.

Love the build. I have a 48 5-window that I'm just starting the build on. Great work!
Jedema is offline   Reply With Quote