View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 01:39 AM   #50
greywurm

Re: Voltage issue - Gauge Cluster and wiring Questions

So, waiting on getting info on a harness for the truck from a local guy. While I have been waiting, this has been eating at me... Anyways, the horn wiring seemed suspect to me (note not connected green wire near horns, but an additional green wire is connected in a post a few back).

I looked over the wire diagram and didn't see the button actually noted after the black cable goes to the steering column harness (the U shaped connector). After some reading, I see that the black wire should go to the horn button as it provides a ground for the relay. Correct?

It currently takes a blue / white wire to it with a wire going out directly to the second green wire that goes straight to the horns. That blue / white wire is spliced in with the cig lighter cable from the fuse block.

I haven't traced the black wire from the horn relay yet - its dark and runs into a wire bundle in harness tape that I haven't undone yet, but I think its safe to assume that it goes nowhere.

I did try disconnecting the relay to see if the was improvement but there was none... Are there aftermarket horn buttons that wire differently than stock, just providing ground to the circuit? Its not in the steering wheel but a separate button on the dash which I thought was stock...

My understanding of my problem is that there is an accessory pulling voltage from the circuit but not putting it back via a ground. So of it were the button, disconnecting its positive side from the fuse relay should stop it from pulling and not returning, thus correcting the issue... but it doesn't. Am I barking up the wrong tree again?
greywurm is offline   Reply With Quote