View Single Post
Old 01-19-2014, 09:28 PM   #95
youngrodder

Re: 53 Surburban "Family Truckster"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Hi Marc,

I haven't kept tabs on this thread so I apologize if you've answered these questions before.

What IS the going price for a complete, relatively low mileage 6.0/6.2 versus a 5.3? I ask because I think there is likely one in my future.

My good running 283 has one weaker cylinder - not bad enough nor do I drive it enough to address it now but later when it time to do something about it I wonder if an update to a modern engine won't be comparably priced or even cheaper?
Dan-

I have not done a lot of research yet on the princing for the 5.3/6.0 or 6.2. I do know that the 5.3 you can get for pretty cheap. Under a $1,000 with not a ton of miles. I will research motors more when I'm closer to needing one.

I can tell you it will probably be 2 - 3 time more expensive then rebuilding your motor or getting another 350 small block to throw in. The reason for this is all of the "other" stuff you need for fuel injection. Fuel pump, reworked fuel lines, possibly a different gas tank, a new (or reworked) wiring harness, reflash of the stock computer, different transmission, reworked drive shaft due to a different length just to name a few. All of this "stuff" really can add up.

Plan out your system out and price out some of the "stuff" I listed above then look to Craigslist or Ebay to get a better idea of the going price for these modern motors. In the end you will see rebulding your 283 or upgrading to a 350 will be more cost effective.

Good luck
Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote