View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Starting problems...need some guidance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Jack View Post
.........Also...just so i'm solid on my technique...to get the #1 at TDC...spin the crank til the air blows my finger off the #1 spark plug hole. then use a wooden dowel to get the piston to the top of the compression stroke and I'm there right. Then check the balancer to make sure that it's at 0* ???
Yes, that technique gets you to TDC and should allow the engine to start. If you have an HEI most are setting it at between 8-12 btdc. Local Auto Zones will loan out tools. You just have to leave a giant deposit but you get it back when you return it. Maybe you can borrow one from a buddy.

Couple of things. Battery cables get corroded internally inside the end battery connection. Unless you peel back the insulation, you can't see it. Also, taking the starter in for testing only checks the electrical connections and makes sure it runs. The true test is when it's on the engine with a load. I had one test good and it led me astray. After replacing the cables, battery and checking the timing, I finally got a complete starter for around $50 and no more problems with hard starting.

Usually what happens in an old starter is the bushings on the front and rear wear enough to allow the rotor to touch the windings and cause a drag. Sometimes it will stick in one spot and you have to click it or whack it with a hammer to nudge it to start.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote