View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 05:58 AM   #6
GMCPaul

Re: Dummy Light to Gauge dash swap chaos! Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
Here is the way the factory wired the gauge trucks. The junction block you say you don't have is just a soldered four way connection in the harness. This may have been chopped out somewhere along the way.

You will have to have the 4 amp fuses in the wires to protect the gauge and you have to connect the wires to the alternator and to the battery but you cannot run the alternator directly to the battery or to the starter terminal. You have to have a shunt wire between the alternator and battery connections. If whoever converted your alternator ran the alternator output wire directly to the battery then the gauge won't work.

Study the diagram and you can see the connections and the shunt.

Here is the junction on my truck which has the idiot light dash so I will have to connect the ammeter wire there. I suppose it can be connected right on the alternator as long as the alternator wire doesn't go directly to the battery.

Attachment 1140699

There is supposed to be a junction bolt on the right inner fender by the battery. This is where the fusible link from the battery and one end of the shunt wire is supposed to go. That is where the other gauge wire goes.
The junction block is not supposed to be 4 wires soldered together. The wires are supposed to have wire terminal ends o n them and then they attach to the plastic junction block mounted on the passenger side fender.
Here's a picture of the junction block that's supposed to be on all of these trucks passenger side fender near the top just under the hood about 12"-16" back from the front of fender and all wires attach to the center metal stud.
Paul @ GMCPauls
Attached Images

GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote