View Single Post
Old 03-17-2023, 07:19 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Re: Just Can't Wrap My Brain Around it...

'72s were considered classic by the '80s. When I ordered my '92 K3500 I got options to build it as close to how I would have ordered a '72. IMO it was classic from day-1. It was 505 green (from fleet selection/not offered otherwise) with gloss black fender flares, 5spd manual, 4.10s, tach, bucket seats, stainless towing mirrors, cab lights, bumper guards, sliding rear window.

Classic isn't about age, it's about ageless. Antique is 25 years in vehicles. Historic is age as well, but can also mean a major change that will be looked back upon as influencing the path ahead. 88-98s fit all three.

Looking at the 88-98s now I see them as a world apart from what came after. The last of when a bumper was a bumper, a piece of heavy steel across the front. And a computer only managed some of the engine and trans, unless a manual. The body was just shaped more modern than earlier trucks. But that was a practical move in a world with new demands. They don't even make 8-lug Suburbans anymore. My '95 8-lugger is 28 years old. In '72 that would have been a '44. My '72 was 23 years old in '95, not eligible for historic plates yet. '95 was last year for HEI, same ignition as a '75.

88-98s are when the extended cab came about and changed the market from just for truck guys to a family vehicle. Regular cabs were still plentiful, extended and crew cabs took over during this ten year period and it kept getting worse beyond until what we knew as a pickup has changed. It's hard to find a normal cab in the newer trucks to the point they are almost non-existent. In '92 I couldn't find a regular cab 8-lug no nonsense truck on a lot. It was all short bed ext cab alloy wheel 2-tone with all the comforts.
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-17-2023 at 07:33 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote