View Single Post
Old 07-22-2021, 12:40 PM   #17
Pick121

New fuel pump

Wow am I glad I came across this thread! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=712970 Midniteblues I owe you a beer and you have my vote for a sticky.
Here is what happened: One day, I stopped getting fuel through my see thru fuel filter up before carb. Checked all the cheap fixes first: check fuel tank pickup line, filter sock, debris in tank that might stir up when I drive, blew out line to carb/check screen filter to carb, blew out lines between fuel tank and carb to make sure no obstructions or kinked lines - all good. I suspected fuel pump (after confirming I had fuel in the tank! - fuel gauge doesn’t work). Put a crowbar in the wallet and got a new fuel pump (mechanical) replaced fuel pump using the trick of taking out short bolt towards front of engine block and temporarily using longer fuel pump bolt to hold the fuel pump rod up. Replaced everything and fire him up, no fuel. Tried this a few (too many) times until I thought I might kill the battery. No prime. Now I am thinking either I got another bad fuel pump (doubtful) or the fuel pump rod is out of place and I am gonna have to disassemble the darn thing…and then I found you my sweet little thread! Took fuel hose off fuel pump intake and inserted into a tall gas can under truck in the space between fan and crank pulley. Blew air from compressor into tank with my hand over filler hole (regulator set at 30psi) and damn it seems like air is leaking out past my hand, not enough pressure to do anything, nothing happening. But when I go check the fuel line, sure enough fuel is pouring out through the hose! Hook it up to the fuel pump and voila, after 3 tries ol’ George fires up and runs again! Really happy as it has been at least 2 months not running. BTW this is for a 350 Chevy V8 crate motor in my 1964 C10, fuel tank behind the seat
I also replaced all the fuel line (rubber hoses) in engine compartment. The metal lines have been cut up by PO’s for the most part, maybe some day will replace the rubber hoses with metal tube from fuel pump to carb. I also put a clear filter before the fuel pump to see if fuel was getting to the pump, I will probably just leave it there for now out of laziness. You can see it by the lower radiator hose. I am a little worried about the fuel line proximity to rad hose, heating up the fuel might contribute to vapor lock we will see!
Attached Images

Pick121 is offline   Reply With Quote