View Single Post
Old 01-29-2022, 09:56 AM   #2144
special-K
Special Order

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarl95 View Post
I've inched a board or two in my life. So aggravating looking for the board stretcher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
The stores were always out!
You guys crack me up! Don't you know cutting a board too short means the end of the world is coming?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 tigger View Post
I’m impressed you made it 16 months Tim! He probably has something in his past that hardened him
Thanks Kirk. I guess I have strong resolve and can look at the bigger picture clearly in such circumstances. He was just strange for about a year. Then when I was the last man standing he started talking how I was hired to replace his lead man. This was close to a year after being hired and not being allowed to be the carpenter that I am. Just do as he says. I never saw a blueprint and never was told the full scope of a job, yet expected to lead with finite accuracy. After 38 years of all the knowledge and decisions being in my own hands, this was a very hard adjustment. And 180 degrees off from my working philosophy, the methods I used to lead.

This is the most I have ever spilled here about my personal life. I'm not a wear my heart on my sleeve person. We come here to enjoy ourselves. But, I may just break with tradition and start a thread on this. I've actually been holding back a lot. There is so much and hopefully once out I'll let it all fade away.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So... What I've been doing not on my truck is chipping away at details I never finished on my house or things I want to change/improve.

I finally ordered and installed a vintage style brass & porcelain toilet handle on the vintage style Kohler toilet I installed about 25 years ago that came with a contemporary looking chrome handle. The bathroom has Douglas fir porch ceiling paneling w/oak trim and brass/porcelain hardware. It all matches now!!

While sitting there, yes there, I looked as I have for so long at the gap between the tile and oak threshold. The toilet has overflowed in the past and flooded the floor, which caused the threshold to cup a few times. It always settles flat again, but the grout has cracked out and the caulk I have used has pulled loose, so I cleared that out long ago.

From the rip I took off the original oak backsplash cap I ruined for my kitchen (prior post), I made quarter round to trim inside this bath's vanity bottom inside. There was a gap. I made extra and got to playing with it and made up some mini-1/4 round, about 1/4"-5/16". I tried it in that gap at the threshold and it filled it well. So I glued and pin nailed it so it could move with the threshold, in case there is another flood
Name:  DSCN0076.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  27.9 KB
Name:  DSCN0068.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  29.9 KB

The base is just oak 1x with an 1/8" bead and old style oak shoe. I also sit there, yes there, and ponder that wide dust collecting and caulked to fill the void due to it's rigid nature 1x. This tiny 1/4 round is like wood caulk, it's so flexible. Today I'm going to make up some more and cap the base with it. Also looking around at other areas around the house that could use it, both clear oak and painted pine
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-30-2022 at 06:20 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote