View Single Post
Old 07-16-2015, 09:34 PM   #14
Dannyboy1966

Re: Engine gets hot at idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
A one row rad can cool better than a four core if it's designed right! Look again. The chances yours is a one core are slim to none!!
BTW you can't say That about the engineer.
He's horizontally challenged!!
Any water in any direction thru your rad running or not helps plug it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstop View Post
So is your fan clutch for a Diesel or gas engine since a Diesel came out of it? I ran a Diesel clutch and was having weird temperature issues. They are different part numbers and lock or unlock at different RPMs and temperatures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkeftm View Post
Another thing to check is ,does your truck have a heat riser (spring or vac operated flap) between the r side exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe. I had one with the same symptoms as you described ,driving temp would be ok ,idle at traffic light mine would go above 230 if I let it idle long enough it would boil over. The flap was seized in the closed position, Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed66 View Post
Oh, that's a good one! I didn't think of this. Half the reason why I'm using headers in my other thread (not trying to threadjack or promote). It can mimic the same symptom as a plugging converter you had mentioned (Dannyboy) which includes overheating due to trapped exhaust gasses.
Geezer, I checked, it's only got a 1 core Rad in it, maybe the PO changed it when he did the motor.. Horizontally challenged..LMAO

Nonstop, You know that could be it, lord knows what this PO did under the hood, but it seems to be grabbing just fine, I went for a ride earlier today and checked to see ho it would spin while it was at full temp. It stops moving as soon as my hand quits moving it. The PO left a rats nest of wires under the hood from the Diesel engine so I've had fun grouping all the extra stuff together, and bundling it all off to one side.

Burkeftm, I wish it was that simple, but I went to headers last fall, before it got cold, so that thermal flapper isn't even hooked up. Good thought though.

Blessed66, since mine started out as a Diesel it never had that converter on it, thank god. But a good idea though.
Dannyboy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote