View Single Post
Old 02-17-2021, 07:32 PM   #482
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Very nice progress Vic. Looking good!.......
Thanks, Dale!

While waiting on some parts I figured I'd hook up the mechanical throttle body linkage. I picked up a Lokar throttle cable and pedal assembly quite awhile back and had installed the pedal before it went off to upholstery. When I got it back, I could tell the pedal didn't have enough travel due to the newly installed carpet and pad. The fix was to use some 1/2 x 5/8 x 2" aluminum blocks to space it up off the floor. Of course, this caused issues with the arm that goes thru the floor and actuates the throttle cable, so I had to machine an extension for it. I was worried that the additional arc would create too much travel but that turned out not to be the case.

In fact, after hooking it all up and adjusting till I was blue in the face, I still don't have the travel I need. With the cable adjusted to where it just returns to idle, I only have about 90% of WOT. When you read up on it, apparently that's a common problem with this setup. Typically, the advice is to make sure there's no slack in the cable, but if I over do it, the throttle blade won't return all the way to idle. There are all sorts of suggestions as you might imagine - up to and including chucking the cable and going full mechanical. Not an option for me.

Not sure if it will be an issue. I know with carbs, you prefer full open butterflies, but often a partially open secondary works nearly as well as full open. Don't know if it's a big deal with EFI. But I would feel better if the throttle blade opened completely.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote