View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #8
learyw

Re: 78 K20 Gas Milage Suggestions

Thanks for all the responses and questions! I think this is most of them. Im also glad to see people think I can do better than 7 mpg.

-My timing is 9 right now. Ill try bumping it to 12-14? Thanks for the link on sbc. Thats something I can look into.
-The rear end was switched before I bought it, and I only recently noticed it had been changed. I havent checked the front, but I would assume it must also have been switched. I cant imagine it would drive if it wasn't? The speedometer didn't read correctly when I got it because of the swap. I have fixed it and it is calibrated.
-Tires are new and inflated. 265/75R16 with new lighter rims.
-No smog system, I havent really spent time looking at ERG...
-Engine compression is a little low but still good and uniform.
-I do think it might run a little rich. It easily passes emissions each year. Thats why I was thinking about buying a digital fuel/air gauge. Any luck with those?
-Im not sure about the vacuum advance diaphragm. I dont know much about that system. It runs real smooth through all the rpms.
- It does have newer dual exhaust with no cats. Seems to have been done real well.
-Its a 350. I drive 80% city, 20% highway. I am rarely towing.