View Single Post
Old 02-06-2021, 02:13 PM   #56
custom10nut

Re: Finishing Bed Wood with oil: Does it last, Let's just see

I’m using Yellow Pine, that I went to the Lumber Mill and picked out each board.
Then I cut to length and milled the grooves myself (using the Spec Chart that GMC Paul has )
The finish I chose was a mixture of Stains, to closely match the color of the Interior “Wood” accents.
To finish it, I chose Boiled Linseed Oil. I went with the BLO for the breathable nature of the oil. I put on three coats (both sides) over about 10 months to let it soak in good. Then I rubbed it all down with Acetone and Steel Wool, to get the Tacky film off.
Currently, the wood is in my garage waiting to be installed. I’ll post it on this thread when I finally get to put it in.
The main reason for going with the oil finish is that I destroyed my original bed (which was perfect when I bought the truck) by sanding it smooth and applying a Marine Urethane to make it look nice.
Fast forward about 15 years, and I’m up under the bed and find a Mushroom Farm, because the outer finish wouldn’t allow the moisture to escape. Live and learn

Last edited by custom10nut; 02-06-2021 at 02:20 PM.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote