View Single Post
Old 05-09-2022, 08:15 AM   #27
KW5413

Re: Painting to sell. What Color/s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipitty_thefool View Post
Hello, I have a 1972 k15 factory swb. I’ve had this truck for almost 23 years. My father and I decided to do a frame off restoration on it and turn it into a show truck to take it to car shows together. Long story short he passed away shortly after we started.

It sat for 2 years and I decided to finish it and sell it. We were going to do a black cherry paint job on it but after looking at the internet it looks like 2 tones seem to be what most guys want. The spid says the truck was White/Ochre, it was solid white before we got it sandblasted. I personally don’t like the White/Ochre color combination and would like to do something else.

I don’t know if any of this matters in terms of it holding value, but the frame, cab and spid vins match. Would painting it the original color be best for resale or could I do any color scheme?

I personally would love to black the whole thing out with a cowl hood, bumpers, grill, everything black and maybe some satin black highlights around the grill. I realize that just because I like it does not mean it will sell well.

I have painted cars for 15 years so I’m not worried about the cost of paying a shop to do whatever I decide to do.

Just need some good feedback.
Just MPO here but there are two camps / markets to consider. The original restoration target market and the modified target market. You have already mentioned moving away from the original market with your preferred paint scheme. Not to mention the engine work.

Both can bring really good $$$ on quality work. I agree that if looking for ''original'' buyers, drop the cowl and go to period correct paint scheme. If not, do whatever you think is right for you.

Out of the (5) classics I have owned (3) fell into the original category. (4) of them have been sold and all brought the $$$, or more, than I was anticipating.

As an FYI: My experience has been, if it doesn't sell in the first 3-4 weeks from first serious attempt...it will likely take a while. So, you might want to carefully measure your investment moving forward.

Good luck
KW5413 is offline   Reply With Quote